A second man of Serbian origin has been arrested by Swedish police on suspicion of having committed war crimes in Kosovo in 1999.
The 36-year-old man, whose name was not given, was arrested in the eastern Swedish town of Örebro last week on suspicion of involvement in a massacre in the
village of Cuska in Kosovo, on May 14th, 1999, in which 41 people were killed.
The man, the second Kosovo war crimes suspect arrested in Sweden in as many months, was reportedly released from custody on Friday, but prosecutor Lars Hedvall told public radio "the suspicion against the man remains."
A Swedish court meanwhile decided that another man of Serbian origin, who was arrested in Sweden in April suspected of war crimes in connection with the same massacre, should remain in custody, the TT news agency reported.
In March, a Serbian prosecutor's office said it had launched an inquiry into 26 people "suspected of killing 41 people in the village of Cuska, near Pec, on May 14 1999, thereby committing a war crime against the civilian population."
The Kosovo war between Serbian security forces and separatist ethnic Albanians was brought to an abrupt end in mid-1999 when an 11-week NATO bombing campaign ousted the Belgrade-controlled forces.
Kosovo declared independence from Serbia in February 2008. Its independence is now recognised by 69 countries, including 22 of the 27 EU member nations, but rejected by Serbia. (AFP/The Local )